Gabriel has 20 years of experience in product development, helping bring new products to market in the consumer, medical, automotive, and industrial sectors. He previously served as co-founder and president of a Bay Area electro-mechanical engineering consultancy. Specializing in early-stage design, Gabriel is passionate about identifying and understanding user needs, and translating these needs into simpler and more intuitive solutions.
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Arizona
- BA, Applied Mathematics, University of Arizona
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
- 9 issued patents and 1 pending patent, US and Europe.
- Hearing assistance device with a low-power mode (9,781,521)
- External microphone array and hearing aid using it (9,510,112)
- Mobile bluetooth device (9,113,287)
- Hearing instrument comprising a divided wax filter (8,842,864)
- Listening system comprising an alerting device and a listening device (8,760,284)
- Method for operating a hearing system, hearing system and audio gateway devices (8,494,198)
- Fluid reservoir connector (7,980,686)
- Ink reservoir (7,887,166)
- Digital wound assessment device and method (WO2016149632)
- Voice recorder for use with hearing device (EP2605541A1)
- Lead author on 2 peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Scientific conferences (podium presentations and poster sessions).
- Invited speaker at universities, US and Europe.
- Design thinking workshop facilitator.
INTERESTS / OBSESSIONS
- Spending time with family and friends
- Sports (running, cycling, tennis, soccer)
- Bicycle touring
- Bottle cap collecting
- New product design
- Business development
- Design thinking and creativity
- Mechatronics (motors, sensors, circuits)
- Programming (C, Java/Android, embedded systems, Matlab)
- CAD (SolidWorks)
- Design Engineer, Centre for Design Thinking, Oticon A/S
- Co-Founder and President, SparkWorks Engineering
- Design Engineer, Thayer Medical
- Design Engineer, MTS Systems