Clients rely on Simplexity’s mechanical engineering team to provide a comprehensive range of design engineering. Whether clients need help gathering initial requirements, exploration of technical architecture options, models of preliminary concepts, custom part design, or in-depth analysis, Simplexity’s mechanical engineering team is here to help.
Simplexity's Mechanical Engineering Expertise Includes:
- Product architecture: Early and high-level concept creation for solutions to complex systems
- Custom design of components and mechanisms including linkages, springs, pneumatics, hydraulics, and other mechanical and electro-mechanical actuators as well as their comprising parts
- Custom gear design including machined, stamped, and molded gears with proprietary gear design tools to evaluate and optimize new and existing gear trains
- Selection and design of drives like gear trains, belt drives, pulleys, torque couplings, linear motion slides, ball screw, and lead screw drives
- Low volume prototyping including rapid prototyping technologies and ability to meet quick-turn proof-of-concept builds
- High volume design including a wide range of design and cost reduction expertise over decades of high volume design
- Injection molded part design
- Plastic part molding including over-molding, insert molding
- Flexible components such as O-rings, gaskets, and seals
- Metal injection molding (MIM) for high strength parts with complex features.
- Sheetmetal part design – low cost and material-efficient design of various sheet metal materials and forming processes
- Material selection, including plastic resin selection, bio-compatible materials and adhesives
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA): Stress/strain & vibration/modal
- Thermal analysis
- Thermal FEA including steady state and transient analysis, conduction, natural/forced convection
- Classical thermodynamics expertise for designing and evaluating heat management systems
- Development and manufacturing test tool creation – test beds and mechanical assemblies supporting both pre-production builds and development test tools as well as production line assembly tools, production line calibration tools, and test/quality verification tools (Supported by Simplexity’s Quality and NPI engineering teams)
- Statistical analysis of data to determine process capability
- Tolerance Analysis including basic and statistical analyses to evaluate design margin and improve DfM
Mechanical engineering designs are communicated to vendors using ANSI and ASME standards for 2D drawings, including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T). Simplexity’s engineering and NPI teams create detailed bills of materials (BOMs) and Simplexity’s procurement team source both off-the-shelf and custom parts for prototyping and final manufacturing.
Prototyping and Manufacturing Readiness
The Simplexity mechanical engineering team uses industry-leading tools and is well-versed in prototyping and manufacturing methods in product development including:
- 2D and 3D CAD design modeling
- Product prototyping – full prototype fabrication, build and test
- Rapid prototyping of parts and mechanisms
- Injection molding
- Over-molding and insert molding
- Laser cutting and wire EDM
- Sheet metal fabrication
- Soft-goods production
Simplexity has the capabilities to perform full mechanical engineering design. With an eye to manufacturability, emphasis is placed on Design for Manufacturing (DfM) and Design for Assembly (DfA) at the very beginning of the project, since the biggest opportunities for simplification are in the concept stage. Also, clients rely on Simplexity engineers to work seamlessly with vetted manufacturing partners, often with hands-on presence, to support contract manufacturing. Simplexity’s New Product Introduction (NPI) team offers extensive support to ensure seamless design transfer to contract manufacturers and tooling vendors including production test tool development and ongoing quality verification.
Contact Simplexity to discuss how we might help address your mechanical engineering needs.
“I have used Simplexity’s design services for over eighteen years and have consistently been pleased with the high level of engineering expertise and integrity. They have very high capabilities in electro-mechanical systems calling for precision and accuracy.”
Fortune 100 Company