Case Study: Embedded 2-Axis Stage for Scientific Imaging
When converting from off-the-shelf motion technology to a customized embedded solution, a major life sciences company chose Simplexity to minimize development risk.
Simplexity worked closely with the client’s scientists, engineers and manufacturing partners to develop a fully integrated motion sub-system. Simplexity worked on-site with the client early in the development process to gain a full understanding of the product architecture; this was critical given the technical complexity of the product and the interaction between sub-systems. Later, Simplexity played a lead role in helping the contract manufacturer achieve a repeatable, high precision assembly. Finally, we developed an end-of-line tool and database collection system to remotely manage ongoing quality.
- Translated high-level product requirements into a detailed motion sub-system specification.
- Architected a 2-axis motion sub-system capable of 10 micron repeatability including the specification of all motors, sensors, encoders, bearings, belts, and lead screw elements.
- Developed the firmware and electronics for brushless DC motor control including techniques for executing fast and accurate small moves without introducing unwanted vibration.
- Developed a manufacturing process of die-casting and post-machining to achieve highly accurate positions.
- Developed a test bench to measure accuracy and repeatability.
- The test bench was used to characterize motion performance during development, to qualify component substitutions, and to ensure out-bound assembly quality at the contract manufacturer.