TECHNICAL PROJECT MANAGER AND ENGINEER | SAN DIEGO
Simplexity Product Development is an engineering design services company with four office locations and over 75 employees. Simplexity has been selected as one of America’s Best Places to Work by Inc. Magazine and is often chosen by top technology firms as their design partner. We strive to create an environment of top-notch engineers, experts in their field, who are passionate about bringing product development excellence to the world’s leading diagnostic, medical and wearable device companies.
We are seeking a Technical Project Manager and Engineer in our San Diego office who would also like to continue performing engineering work. This job is for an experienced product development engineer who has project management experience or who has been a technical lead and would like to expand their skill set into project management. The primary responsibility of the job will be to ensure smooth operation of projects by managing schedules, budgets, and customer interactions.
This position is ideal for someone who likes variety, has a technical background, and has worked in product development consulting. In addition to project management duties, we expect that some of the time will include continuing working as a product development engineer. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, yet enjoy a casual and flexible work atmosphere, then Simplexity may be the place for you.
- Work with clients and engineers to create project plans, estimate project budgets, and define schedules to meet client and project team objectives
- Manage cross-disciplined project teams across multiple geographic locations to ensure all design activities and project risks are covered
- Coordinate communication and requirements definition between mechanical, electrical, and embedded firmware teams
- Hold the team accountable for completing action items and meeting key milestone dates
- Develop presentations and lead kickoff meetings, status meetings, brainstorms, design reviews, and phase review meetings
- Ensure team members are accurately finding the root cause of defects, documenting decisions, and following best practices for design updates and issue resolution
- Contribute to project work (design of new products) as needed
- Support Sales by writing project proposals, creating work breakdown estimates, and generating resource plans for new work
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical, Mechanical, Computer, or Control System Engineering or a related field from an accredited four-year university
- 4+ years of experience in Product Development Engineering
- 2+ years of technical lead or project management experience
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency with project management software and tools
- Excellent organization and analytical skills combined with attention to detail. Ability to prioritize and plan effectively.
- Highly motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate clearly and write detailed reports
- Have a positive attitude and focus on client success
- Ethical and honest in every part of the job
- Work effectively in a team setting and collaborate openly with other engineers
OTHER EXPERIENCE DESIRED:
Experience in any of the following areas is a plus:
- Atlassian (Confluence, JIRA, BitBucket) software
- Formal project management training or PMP certification
- Familiarity with Quality System requirements and hardware development for medical devices (including regulatory requirements)
- SQL database knowledge
- Working knowledge of good documentation practices (GDP)
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, and mechanical design considerations for injection molding, sheet metal, machining, rapid prototyping
- Mechatronics and electro-mechanical systems including stepper and DC motors, solenoids, gear and belt drive systems, bearings, sensors and electronics
- Embedded firmware development
- Electronics & PCA design, development, and debug
Job location is in San Diego, although if you are located where Simplexity has other offices you are also welcome to apply since we may have future openings there. Primarily working from home is expected during the COVID-19 pandemic. Post-pandemic, some travel and/or on-site work at client sites may be required for this position. Full compliance with Covid-19 safety procedures is required for all in-person work.
In addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- Healthcare plan (Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Long-term and short-term disability, AD&D and Life Insurance
- Paid maternity/new parent leave
- 11 Paid holidays
- 3 weeks of paid time off (PTO) per year, increasing after 2, 5, and 9 years of service
- Flexible working hours and working from home
We work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
TO APPLY FOR THE TECHNICAL PROJECT MANAGER AND ENGINEER POSITION:
To respond to this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Simplexity is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.