SENIOR MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER | BAY AREA
Simplexity Product Development is an engineering design services company with four office locations and around 75 employees. Simplexity has been selected as one of America’s Best Places to Work by Inc. Magazine and is often chosen by top technology firms as their design partner.
Imagine an environment of top-notch engineers, experts in their field, who are passionate about bringing product development excellence to the world’s leading diagnostic, medical and wearable device companies. As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in our Bay Area office, you would be working on a team designing subsystems of various products, tools, and equipment. We are seeking candidates to develop complex instrumentation that includes automated fluid handling, sample preparation, and sample delivery mechanisms as well as fluidic controls, motion controls, and thermal controls. Specific technical responsibilities vary by project; however, it is imperative that you have command of all mechanical engineering fundamentals and understand how they are applied to simple, reliable design.
This position is ideal for someone who has a strong technical background, a command of designing with 3D CAD, and has worked in product development consulting. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, yet enjoy a casual and flexible work atmosphere, then Simplexity may be the place for you.
- Design and integration of instrumentation, including mechanical, fluidic, microfluidic, motion, and thermal subsystems
- Design mechanical systems that incorporate injection-molded plastic parts, machined parts, and sheet metal parts
- Perform analyses, such as finite element, thermal, root-cause, and tolerance analysis
- Manage assemblies of components and bill of materials and create 2D drawings using GD&T standards
- Work collaboratively with the electrical, firmware, software, and quality engineers to optimize designs
- Identify appropriate manufacturing methods for prototyping and production
- Evaluate prototypes to test specifications and then improve upon the design
- Manage, organize, and prioritize technical issues on your designs and drive toward resolution
- Technical leadership of a project team, across multiple geographic locations, throughout the product development lifecycle, including requirements definition, concept generation, design, prototyping, and design verification
- Work closely and communicate regularly with clients and project management to keep stakeholders apprised of project status, issues, design decisions, and risks
- Identify separation of tasks and CAD for distributing among engineering team
- Coordinate with external partners in areas like industrial design and contract manufacturing
- Lead brainstorms and design reviews with internal team and clients
- Perform coaching/mentoring to less experienced engineer
SENIOR MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or Biomechanical Engineering from an accredited four-year university.
- 8+ years of relevant, professional engineering experience.
- Proficient knowledge of SolidWorks (highly preferred) or equivalent CAD package.
- Thorough understanding of GD&T and how it is applied to design and manufacturing.
- Demonstrable knowledge of manufacturing processes and mechanical design considerations – injection molding, sheet metal, machining, rapid prototyping, etc.
- Ability to identify and root-cause system-level defects.
- Experience in design and integration of complex systems working with cross-functional disciplines (electrical, firmware, and systems engineers).
- Excellent organization and analytical skills combined with attention to detail. Ability to prioritize and plan effectively.
- Experience with mechatronics and electro-mechanical systems including stepper and DC motors, solenoids, gear and belt drive systems, bearings, sensors, and electronics.
- Highly motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate clearly and write detailed reports.
- Have a positive attitude and focus on client success.
- Ethical and honest in every part of the job.
OTHER EXPERIENCE A PLUS:
- Robotics, mechatronics, and programming
- Finite Element Analysis, Computation Flow Dynamics, or experience in other simulation packages
- Top-down design techniques, spline-driven surface modeling, and master modeling
- Instrument design experience, including automation, fluidic, microfluidic, and thermal
- Prior experience with medical devices and working within a medical quality system
Office location is in Sunnyvale, CA. Primarily working from home is expected during the COVID-19 pandemic. Post-pandemic, some travel and/or on-site work at client sites may be required for this position.
In addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- Excellent Healthcare plan (Medical, Dental, and Vision) fully paid for by the company for the employee; partial payment for dependents
- 401(k) plan with matching
- Long-term and short-term disability, AD&D and Life Insurance
- Paid maternity/new parent leave
- 11 Paid holidays
- 3 weeks of paid time off (PTO) per year, increasing after 2, 5, and 9 years of service
- Flexible working hours and working from home
We work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
TO APPLY FOR THE SENIOR MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER POSITION:
To respond to this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Simplexity is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.