PRINCIPAL MOLECULAR DIAGNOSTICS ENGINEER | SAN DIEGO
Simplexity Product Development is an engineering design services company with four office locations and about 80 employees. Simplexity has been selected as one of America’s Best Places to Work by Inc. Magazine and is often chosen by top technology firms as their design partner. We strive to create an environment of top-notch engineers, experts in their field, who are passionate about bringing product development excellence to the world’s leading diagnostic, medical and wearable device companies.
We are seeking a Principal Molecular Diagnostics Engineer. The primary part of the job will be leading and directly contributing to the design of molecular diagnostic instruments. The role also entails engaging with new clients, scoping the engineering effort required to design new products, and contributing to proposals. We are seeking candidates with experience developing complex instrumentation that includes automated fluid handling, sample preparation, and sample delivery mechanisms as well as fluidic controls, motion controls, and thermal controls.
- Lead systems-level architecture development
- Design of molecular diagnostic instrumentation components and integration, including mechanical automation, fluidic, microfluidic, and thermal
- Develop solutions as part of a cross-discipline team (EE, ME, FW/SW and Systems Engineers)
- Discover creative and manufacturable solutions to difficult problems
- Lead brainstorms and design reviews with internal team and clients
- Design and analyze systems
- Mentor junior engineers in their development work
- Identify appropriate prototyping and manufacturing methods for new product and instrument designs
- Work through the product lifecycle, including design, implementation, and verification
- Development and execution of acceptance criteria
- Interface with customers in person, in teleconferences, and via written communications
- Management of technical issues and task prioritization
- Bachelor’s of Science or Master’s of Science degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, Biotechnology, Control Systems, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field from an accredited four-year university
- 15+ years of experience within the molecular diagnostic, biotech, or life science industry
- Working knowledge of design control procedures and regulatory environment
- Excellent organization and analytical skills combined with attention to detail. Ability to prioritize and plan effectively
- Highly motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience with getting to the root cause of defects
- Ability to communicate clearly and write detailed reports and proposals
- Have a positive attitude and focus on client success
- Ethical and honest in every part of the job
- Work effectively in a team setting and collaborate openly with other engineers
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills
OTHER EXPERIENCE A PLUS:
- Prior experience with medical devices and working within a medical quality system
- Mechatronics, robotics, and programming experience
- Working knowledge of embedded processors or analog and digital sensors
- Experience with C, C++, or C# programming
- Experience with Python and/or Matlab for data processing, analysis and algorithm development
- Understanding of PCBA design concepts
- Finite Element Analysis, Computation Flow Dynamics, or experience in other simulation packages
- Experience with Atlassian tools (Confluence, JIRA, BitBucket)
Position location is in San Diego, CA. Some travel and/or on-site work at client sites may be required for this position. Work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic with a flexible return to the office schedule post-pandemic.
In addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- Excellent Healthcare plan (Medical, Dental, and Vision) fully paid for by the company for the employee, partial payment for dependents
- 401(k) plan with matching
- Long-term and short-term disability, AD&D and Life Insurance
- Paid maternity/new parent leave
- 11 Paid holidays
- 3 weeks of paid time off (PTO) per year, increasing after 2, 5, and 9 years of service
- Flexible working hours and working from home
We work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
TO APPLY FOR THE PRINCIPAL MOLECULAR DIAGNOSTICS ENGINEER:
To respond to this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Simplexity is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.