MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER (CONTRACT-TO-HIRE) | SAN DIEGO
Imagine an environment of top notch engineers, experts in their field, who are passionate about bringing product development excellence to the world’s leading diagnostic, medical and wearable device companies. As a Mechanical Design Engineer in our San Diego office, you would be working on a team designing subsystems of various products, tools, and equipment. We are seeking candidates to develop complex instrumentation that includes automated fluid handling, sample preparation, and sample delivery mechanisms as well as fluidic controls, motion controls, and thermal controls. Specific technical responsibilities vary by project; however, it is imperative that you have command of all mechanical engineering fundamentals and understand how they are applied to simple, reliable design.
Simplexity Product Development is an engineering design services company with four office locations and about 80 employees. Simplexity has been selected as one of America’s Best Places to Work by Inc. Magazine and is often chosen by top technology firms as their design partner.
This position is ideal for someone who has a strong technical background, a command of designing with SolidWorks 3D CAD, and has worked in product development consulting. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, yet enjoy a casual and flexible work atmosphere, then Simplexity may be the place for you.
- Design and integration of instrumentation, including mechanical, fluidic, microfluidic, motion, and thermal subsystems
- Design mechanical systems that incorporate injection-molded plastic parts, machined parts, and sheet metal parts
- Perform analyses, such as finite element, thermal, root-cause, and tolerance analysis
- Manage assemblies of components and bill of materials and create 2D drawings using GD&T standards
- Work collaboratively with the electrical, firmware, software, and quality engineers to optimize designs
- Identify appropriate manufacturing methods for prototyping and production
- Evaluate prototypes to test specifications and then improve upon the design
- Manage, organize, and prioritize technical issues on your designs and drive toward resolution
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or a related field from an accredited four-year university
- 2+ years of experience in Product Development Engineering. Salary commensurate with experience.
- Excellent knowledge of SolidWorks or similar 3D CAD software
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, and mechanical design considerations for injection molding, sheet metal, machining, rapid prototyping
- Experience with mechatronics and electro-mechanical systems including stepper and DC motors, solenoids, gear and belt drive systems, bearings, sensors and electronics
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent organization and analytical skills combined with attention to detail. Ability to prioritize and plan effectively.
- Highly motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate clearly and create detailed documentation
- Have a positive attitude and focus on client success
- Ethical and honest in every part of the job
- Work effectively in a team setting and collaborate openly with other engineers
OTHER EXPERIENCE A PLUS:
- Robotics and programming
- Top-down design techniques, spline-driven surface modeling, and master modeling
- Familiarity with Quality System requirements for medical devices
- Atlassian (Confluence, JIRA) software
In addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- Excellent healthcare plan (Medical, Dental, Vision) fully paid for by the company for the employee; partial payment for dependents
- 401(k) plan with matching
- Long-term and short-term disability, AD&D and Life Insurance
- Paid maternity/new parent leave
- 11 Paid holidays
- 3 weeks of paid time off (PTO) per year, increasing after 2, 5 and 10 years of service
- Flexible working hours and working from home
We work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
TO APPLY FOR THE MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER POSITION:
To respond to this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a Contract-to-Hire assignment. After a few months of work, we will evaluate converting the job to a permanent position.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.