MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER | SAN DIEGO
Imagine an environment of top-notch engineers, experts in their field, who are passionate about bringing product development excellence to the world’s leading diagnostic, medical and wearable device companies. As a Mechanical Design Engineer in our San Diego office, you would be working on a team designing subsystems of various products, tools, and equipment. We are seeking candidates to develop complex instrumentation that includes automated fluid handling, sample preparation, and sample delivery mechanisms as well as fluidic controls, motion controls, and thermal controls. Specific technical responsibilities often vary by project; however, it is imperative that you have a strong command of mechanical engineering fundamentals, experience with product development, and constructive collaboration with project management.
Simplexity Product Development is an engineering design services company with four office locations and about 80 employees. Simplexity has been selected as one of America’s Best Places to Work by Inc. Magazine and is often chosen by top technology firms as their design partner.
- Design and integration of instrumentation and products, including mechanical, fluidic, microfluidic, motion, and thermal subsystems
- Design injection-molded plastic parts, machined parts, and sheet metal parts in 3D CAD that are manufacturable for low or high-volume applications, as required for the project
- Perform analyses, such as finite element, thermal, root-cause, and tolerance analysis
- Manage assemblies of components and bill of materials
- Create 2D drawings using GD&T standards
- Define appropriate materials and manufacturing methods for prototyping as well as production
- Evaluate prototypes to test specifications and then improve upon the design
- Manage, organize, and prioritize technical issues on your designs and drive toward resolution
- Develop solutions as part of a cross discipline team (ME, EE, FW, Systems Engineers)
- Work closely and communicate regularly with clients, project management, and external partners
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited four-year university
- 2+ years of relevant, professional engineering experience
- Proficient knowledge of SolidWorks or similar 3D CAD software
- Demonstrable knowledge of manufacturing processes and mechanical design considerations – injection molding, sheet metal, machining, rapid prototyping, etc.
- Ability to identify and root-cause system-level defects
- Excellent organization and analytical skills combined with attention to detail. Ability to prioritize and plan effectively
- Experience with mechatronics and electro-mechanical systems including stepper and DC motors, solenoids, gear and belt drive systems, bearings, sensors, and electronics
- Highly motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate clearly and write detailed reports
- Have a positive attitude and focus on client success
- Ethical and honest in every part of the job
OTHER EXPERIENCE A PLUS:
- Robotics and programming
- Thorough understanding of GD&T and how it is applied to design and manufacturing
- Prior experience with medical devices and working within a medical quality system
Position location is in San Diego, CA. Some travel and/or on-site work at client sites may be required for this position. Work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic with a flexible return to the office schedule post-pandemic.
In addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- Excellent Healthcare plan (Medical, Dental, and Vision) fully paid for by the company for the employee, partial payment for dependents
- 401(k) plan with matching
- Long-term and short-term disability, AD&D and Life Insurance
- Paid maternity/new parent leave
- 11 Paid holidays
- 3 weeks of paid time off (PTO) per year, increasing after 2, 5, and 9 years of service
- Flexible working hours and working from home
We work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
TO APPLY FOR THE MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER POSITION:
To respond to this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We are not able to sponsor visas for this position.
Simplexity is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.